What to do if your Dog Eats Chocolate


On the other hand, milk chocolate contains less theobromine than dark chocolate and pets may not need treatment if they have only eaten a small amount. Toys, fuss, and attention are going to be just as well received and, in many cases, are the healthier option for our beloved pets. Offer toys, a stuffed chew toy, a favorite blanket, and treats to help them feel like the crate is their personal den. Let’s assume your 60-pound dog ate a 1.55-ounce milk chocolate candy bar like a Hershey’s bar. If you would like to give your dog a treat on a special occasion, then there are lots of alternative tasty treats available for our precious pooches. And believe it or not, these numbers are on the rise. Chocolates may be accidentally left behind after Easter egg hunts, so it is best to make sure dogs are kept out of the area and make sure all eggs are accounted for before dogs are allowed back in. It might be easier to shut animals out of the room rather than try to clear up straight away, as you’ll need to work out how much chocolate has been eaten.

There isn’t a specific antidote for chocolate poisoning, but your vet might try to induce vomiting to get the chocolate out of your dog’s system and provide treatment for any symptoms. If you are unsure of the amount your dog ate, it’s still a good idea to use hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting if you know the ingestion wasn’t long ago. As you can see from the table above, not all types of chocolates contain the same amount of theobromine. Although chocolate poisoning is rarely fatal in dogs, even a small amount of certain types of chocolate can cause serious illness. Simply put, small dogs are far more likely to become sick from eating chocolate than large dogs are. A small bar of chocolate is approximately 1.4 ounces, and a large bar is usually around 7 ounces. Milk chocolate: 0.7 ounces to 2 ounces per pound of body weight. My dog got ahold of 6 ounces of chocolate. Signs of chocolate consumption include vomiting, diarrhea, restlessness, elevated heart rate, rapid or shallow breathing, and increased urination. Initially, your vet will examine your dog to assess for signs of chocolate poisoning.

What Are the Signs of Chocolate Poisoning and When Do They Start? The following table shows you the type and the quantity of chocolate a dog has to eat in order to cause signs of toxicity, in accordance with the size of the dog. Most people have heard that eating chocolate can cause problems for dogs, but how much does it take to be dangerous? Hard candy can also cause harm to dogs. Unfortunately for our furry pals, the half-life of theobromine in dogs is about 18 hours, according to an article published on the National Institutes of Health website. Chocolate contains methylxanthines, which are naturally occurring stimulants made up of alkaloid theobromine and caffeine, although the latter is in much smaller amounts in chocolate than the former. It’s safest not to give your dog any chocolate or any food which contains chocolate. As a rule of thumb, higher quality pure chocolate contains more theobromine than lower quality chocolate. 0.25 mg of theobromine per ounce of chocolate. Dogs metabolize theobromine at a much slower rate than humans. Then, treatment generally aims to remove as much chocolate as possible from the body. Recovery takes 1 to 3 days as it still takes time to pass from your dog’s body.

If a dog eats a dose of 9 milligrams per pound of body weight, then they are at risk of chocolate poisoning. However, for our furriest family members, these tempting, treat-filled baskets could be VERY dangerous, and what to do if your best friend eats chocolate could make all the difference in keeping them healthy, happy, and well! Also, taking matters into your own hands after a consultation with Dr. Google could actually make things worse. If the dog just ate the chocolate, vomiting is one of the best things for him because he will purge some of the chocolate, thus limiting the potential for a toxic reaction. It is orajel safe for dogs 7:30pm and our vet is closed and also, I think too late to induce vomiting. Also, consider getting pet insurance for your dog if you haven’t already. Accidents can happen, and pet owners are often faced with the worry about what would happen if their dog ate chocolate. So, if you are in any doubt about whether your dog may have eaten some chocolate, it is always safest to call the nearest open veterinary clinic for advice. Timing is critical, and the safest step is to take your dog to the veterinary office or emergency clinic to have vomiting induced.